Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
When I eat bananas, I prefer bananas that are super firm still with a hint of green to their skin. Mushy and speckled bananas are a definite no. My ripe bananas always end up in recipes – Pancakes, “fried” bananas on top of ice cream, breakfast cookies and banana bread! In fact, I think ripe bananas are always an excuse for banana bread 🙂
But this banana bread is special, because it’s filled with vitamin-rich zucchini.
You can see the healthy green shreds folded into the batter, but you won’t taste them or know they’re in there. Zucchini is high in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, potassium, folate, protein and fiber, all of which help keep you healthy and help you maintain a healthy weight.
Plus this bread is made with almond flour, which is made from ground almonds. It’s naturally gluten-free, low-carb and high in fiber and protein.
So, when you add up the health benefits of the banana, zucchini and almond flour, this bread is basically a health food. Which means you can feel good about standing over the pan and eating the entire batch by yourself.
And it’s totally acceptable to eat this for breakfast, because… bananas. Right, guys? Right.
Look at that beautiful golden-brown crust, but the inside is still soft and studded with melted chocolate chips. It’s divine.
I really love these still warm from the oven. The chocolate chips are all melty and get your hands a little messy. (I suppose that could be fixed if you used a fork, instead of diving in with your hands like an animal!) Finger-licking tasty.
They’re also quite wonderful at room temperature, but warm with a glass of almond milk really hits the spot.
These will last for five days at room temperature, if you have self-restraint and control. All the power to you. Now, go put those ripe bananas to use! Happy banana baking 🙂
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread (paleo, gluten-free)
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- YIELDS 8x8 inch pan
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup (plus an extra Tablespoon if you prefer things more sweet!)
- 2 Tablespoons melted and cooled coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces dark chocolate chips or chunks (I used Enjoy Life dairy-free chocolate)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line an 8×8″ baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place the shredded zucchini in a colander/sieve and press out as much water as possible. You want the zucchini as dry as can be! Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana and whisk in the eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Sprinkle in the coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt, and stir until combined. The batter will be thick.
- Stir in the shredded zucchini, then fold in 2/3 of the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into your prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula or knife.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/3 of the chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the top is golden and firm and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and let cool completely before slicing into pieces.
- Store at room temperature for up to five days.
Recipe from Well Plated.