Grilled Tex-Mex Turkey Burgers
Last month I was traveling to California and when I arrived at the airport, realized I had left my reading book at home. I purchased the June issue of Food Network Magazine (my favorite leisure magazine!) to read on the plane and this beautiful burger was on the cover.
I knew this culinary masterpiece would make an appearance in my near future, and in the spirit of Fourth of July and grilling season (and because I have a huge supply of frozen gluten-free buns in my freezer,) I whipped this up today.
The turkey has a smokey and spicy flavor from a combination of smoked paprika and cayenne pepper, but the crown jewel of this burger is the avocado mayonnaise. It’s like a party in your mouth, and all of your tastebuds are invited. Avocado, mayo, lime juice, salt and pepper. Perfection.
Plus, you have creamy, spicy pepper jack cheese melted on top and tortilla chips crushed up for some added texture. Sigh.This gluten-free bun was one of the tastiest I’ve ever had. Soft, perfectly toasted and the perfect canvas for this flavorful creation.
Grilled Tex-Mex Turkey Burgers with Avocado Mayo
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- YIELDS 4 Burgers
- Spray your grill with non-stick spray and pre-heat to medium heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground turkey, grated garlic, paprika, 3/4 teaspoon salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Mix with your hands until just combined. Form into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Grill the burgers approximately 18-20 minutes (flipping once or twice) until well-done and 165°F in the center of the burgers. Top each burger with a slice of cheese and cover the grill until the cheese melts, about 30 seconds. Remove burgers from the grill.
- Meanwhile combine 1/2 avocado, the mayonnaise, lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Mash until smooth and set aside.
- Thinly slice the remaining 1/2 avocado and set aside for topping.
- To prepare the burgers, spread the avocado mayonnaise on the cut sides of the toasted buns. Serve the burgers on the buns with the shredded lettuce, sliced avocado and tortilla chips.