I’ve made this popcorn mix (or “Bunny Mix” as my friend, Michelle, appropriately named it!) the past few years around Easter. It’s colorful, caramel-y, salty, crunchy and perfect for gifting!I am a sucker for anything with popcorn. (As I’ve mentioned before, one of my all-time favorite snacks is popcorn + candy corn mixed together. It’s the BEST.) My Candied Caramel Popcorn is also pretty fantastic…
But back to the Bunny Mix. The textures and flavor combinations in this popcorn are divine. The popcorn softens ever so slightly from the warm caramel. Then you have the crunchy, salty pretzels and the entire mix is studded with beautiful pastel M&Ms.
My favorite egg-shaped Easter M&Ms are the pastel peanut eggs and the speckled peanut butter eggs, but you can use whatever M&M or candy you have sitting around. (If you swap out the pastel M&Ms for other holiday treats, you can make this year round!)
Mini marshmallows are melted into the salted caramel sauce. This creates a very sticky popcorn, but the marshmallow-caramel sauce holds everything together so deliciously, and provides the perfect mix of sweet and salty.I brought a bunch of Bunny Mix into work, and my co-workers ate it all up! It’s a definite crowd-pleaser. This will be a huge hit at your Easter brunch this weekend.
I suggest making a double batch!
Hugs, kisses + yummy dishes… xoxo
Salted Caramel Bunny Mix
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- YIELDS 8 cups
- In a large bowl, combine the plain popcorn and chopped pretzels.
- In a medium or large saucepan, combine the sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Let the mixture continue to boil, undisturbed, for about 10 minutes, until the mixture is amber in color. It might take a little more or less, so be sure to check the color frequently.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour in the heavy cream slowly. (The cream will make the mixture bubble up and you don't want it to overflow onto your stove!)
- Stir mixture until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract and marshmallows. Stir or whisk until marshmallows are melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the salted caramel marshmallow sauce over the popcorn and pretzel mixture. Stir gently (and quickly!) with a rubber spatula until all of the popcorn and pretzels are coated. (Alternatively, you could pour everything into a large paper bag and shake it up to disperse the caramel sauce and mix everything together.)
- Stir in the M&Ms.
- Spread the mixture out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Let cool completely and enjoy!