Buffalo Chicken Pasta
I had the weirdest hankering for buffalo chicken pasta last week. It’s even more weird, because I’d never actually had buffalo chicken past before! It just sounded so delicious. And when I was still craving it a few days later, I decided to give it a try.
Recipe is adapted to be gluten-free from Little Leopard Book’s Buffalo Chicken Cheesy Penne.
There are no words. This was INCREDIBLE. Just thinking about it now makes me want to go whip up another batch!
The buffalo cheese sauce is made from cream cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing and chicken broth. Not the healthiest of meals, but if you’re going to splurge on buffalo chicken pasta, who cares, right!? So worth it.
I poached my chicken breasts and then shredded them into pieces that were similar in size to the pasta. You could roast or grill your chicken, too, or use whatever you have on hand. Even a store-bought roasted chicken would be great. You could totally make this vegetarian by subbing veggie broth and omitting the chicken. Even adding roasted tofu would be yummy.
By itself, the pasta, sauce and chicken is magical. But adding the scallions and red pepper flakes on top adds a nice crunch and the perfect extra touch of heat (if you’re into spicy foods!) If you’re a blue cheese fan, add some crumbles on top. Whoah.
Leftovers are just wonderful. I didn’t particularly like the leftovers cold because the sauce hardened up too much for my taste, but a short trip in the microwave does wonders and brings the pasta and sauce back to life!
Ultimate craving satisfaction.
Hugs, kisses + yummy dishes… xoxo,
Buffalo Chicken Pasta
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- YIELDS 4-6 servings (depending on how hungry you are!)
- 3 cups shredded chicken breasts (poached, roasted, or even grilled!)
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- 3/4 cup ranch dressing
- 12 oz uncooked gluten-free pasta (I used rotini, but you could use whatever shape you prefer)
- 1 small bunch scallions, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- In the meantime, in a medium saucepan, melt the cream cheese, buffalo sauce and chicken broth together.
- Add the paprika, garlic powder, black pepper and salt.
- Cook for five minutes over medium heat, until all of the ingredients are combined and the sauce is creamy and smooth.
- Add the ranch dressing and the shredded chicken. Stir gently until combined.
- Continue to cook the cheese sauce, stirring occasionally, for another 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to package instructions, or until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and return to the large pot.
- Add the cheese sauce to the pot with the pasta and mix until all of the pieces of pasta are coated with the delicious sauce!
- Transfer to a serving dish, top with scallions, blue cheese, red pepper flakes or any other toppings of your choice.
- Serve while hot!
This recipe is adapted slightly to be gluten-free from Little Leopard Book’s Buffalo Chicken Cheesy Penne.