Spicy Turkey Bolognese
Happy Valentine’s Day, friends! Today, I bring you a spicy red pasta sauce that is sure to make anyone fall in love with you! Well, at least with your cooking 🙂 This sauce is so easy to whip up and would make a delicious Valentine’s Day meal.
This sauce is so so so delicious. Over-the-top yummy. It doesn’t take too long to make, which makes it easy to prepare on a weeknight, yet it’s so rich and full of flavor!
So far, I have served this sauce over spaghetti squash and gluten-free penne. Both equally fabulous. I’ve also enjoyed it with just a spoon. It’s even delicious cold out of the fridge.
The other beautiful thing about this sauce is that it’s so healthy. It’s full of antioxidant-rich tomatoes, sautéed vegetables and spices. And it uses ground turkey or turkey sausage, which is far healthier than a ground beef-based sauce. You could of course substitute ground beef (I’m sure it would be delish) or ground chicken. Or, quite frankly, you could make this sauce sans-meat and I bet it would still be mouthwateringly wonderful.
As for the veggies, you don’t have to measure them to an exact science. The more, the merrier. And if you’re not a huge “spice” fan, just cut back on the red pepper flakes or remove them altogether!
I hope you find many more ways to enjoy this sauce as much as we have.
Hugs, kisses & yummy dishes… xoxo
Spicy Turkey Bolognese
- YIELDS 4 Servings
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped onion, carrots and celery. Sautée vegetables until just translucent, stirring often, about five minutes.
- Add minced garlic and cook for another minute, until fragrant.
- Add ground sausage and cook until browned, breaking up the meat into small pieces as it cooks to make sure it's all cooked through.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, dried oregano, red pepper flakes and bay leaves.
- Let the sauce simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Add chopped basil and lemon juice and continue to simmer for another 5-10 minutes. The sauce will thicken up a bit.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve sauce over noodles of choice!
Cannot wait to make this. Sounds so yummy
[…] Spicy Turkey Bolognese […]