Skillet Spinach Frittata
If we weren’t being lazy couch potatoes for the rest of the night, I would have made Bloody Mary’s or Mimosas to accompany our feast, and if you’re making this for breakfast I highly recommend adding your favorite spiked morning beverage.
But for us, this meal was just perfect to relax with in our PJs and a marathon of old Sopranos episodes.
Next time I will make this with a lot more eggs, because it’s great leftover, too. I also like a thicker frittata, and because my cast iron skillet is pretty large, it ended up being a thin frittata, but still delish. You can totally add more eggs and use more or less of the mix-ins based on your preference. This would also be yummy with some sautéed mushrooms or artichoke hearts incorporated.
While I was cooking, my boyfriend was experimenting with the Vine app on his iPhone and took this super fun short video of the prep work. So cool!
What you’ll need: eggs, milk, garlic, olive oil, spinach, scallions, paprika, sun-dried tomatoes, red pepper flakes, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Crack eggs into a medium bowl and whisk them together with milk, salt, pepper, minced garlic, and any spices you want to add. Set aside.
In a cast iron skillet sauté spinach and scallions in a bit of olive oil until spinach is mostly wilted. Add a pinch of salt.
Pour the egg mixture and sun-dried tomatoes into your cast iron skillet and stir gently. Add some cheese on top if you want to. Bake in the oven until it puffs up and becomes golden brown, about 25 minutes, but will depend on the size of your skillet and how many eggs you use. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Sprinkle some of the reserved scallions on top. Slice and serve.
Quantities adapted from Love and Lemons
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (any kind, I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- olive oil
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup (or so) scallions, chopped (reserve some for garnish)
- pinch of paprika or other spices you like
- chopped sun-dried tomatoes (optional)
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- grated parmesan or pecorino cheese (optional)
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Crack eggs into a medium bowl and whisk them together with milk, salt, pepper, minced garlic, and any spices you want to add. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet sauté spinach and scallions in a bit of olive oil until spinach is mostly wilted. Add a pinch of salt.
- Place the cooked spinach into the egg bowl with the sun-dried tomatoes and gently mix.
- Pour the egg mixture and sun-dried tomatoes into the cast iron skillet and stir gently.
- Sprinkle some cheese on top. (optional)
- Bake in the oven until it puffs up and becomes golden brown, about 25 minutes. Just watch it and poke at it a bit until your eggs are firm-ish and cooked.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Sprinkle some of the reserved scallions on top. Slice and serve.
Hugs, kisses & yummy dishes… xoxo