Grilled Lemon Chicken Skewers
This chicken packs a serious lemon-punch! It is infused with flavors of lemony goodness from both lemon zest and juice, dried oregano, garlic and scallions. It was super easy to throw together last night after work, and it’s great because you can marinate it for as little as 30 minutes or up to 3 hours. I marinated it for half an hour because I was a little short on time, so I can only imagine how much more flavorful it would be if you had the whole three hours!
I also bet this would be a great marinade for roasted chicken or grilled whole chicken breasts, if you don’t feel like making skewers. I’ll probably try one of those soon.
Served alongside some grilled asparagus and mashed cauliflower with parmesan, garlic and chives, this was a mighty fine meal!
What you’ll need: boneless chicken breasts, lemons, garlic, dried oregano, olive oil, kosher salt, pepper and scallions.
Slice the chicken breasts lengthwise into thirds, then slice them again into 1-inch chunks. Prepare your marinade by combining the zest of one lemon, the juice of two lemons, minced garlic, dried oregano, salt and pepper with olive oil. Combine the marinade and chicken cubes in a large Ziplock bag and marinate for 30 minutes to three hours, whatever time you have available. The longer the better!
While that is marinating, prepare your scallions and lemons for skewering, and relax with some of your favorite wine and cheese (optional.) My friend just brought me a delicious round of Manchego cheese from Spain, so we enjoyed that with a yummy bottle of 14 Hands and some Jeopardy!
Prep your grill and skewers. If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them for at least 10 minutes in water before you thread your ingredients.
Once the chicken done marinating, prepare your skewers.
Thread one piece of the chicken onto a skewer then two slices of green onion, and then another piece of chicken. Fold a slice of lemon in half and thread next to the chicken, grouping closely on the skewer. Add another piece of chicken, then green onions and repeat the pattern until you’ve reached the end of the skewer, ending with chicken.
Grill until the chicken is cooked through, and serve immediately.
Delicious hot, and also great as leftovers the next day!
Grilled Lemon Chicken Skewers
Recipe from Foodie Crush
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 3 lemons
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 7-8 scallions (green onions)
- Slice the chicken breasts lengthwise into thirds, and then slice again into 1-inch chunks. Place chicken chunks in a big Ziplock bag and set aside.
- Zest one of the lemons and add to a medium size bowl. Juice that lemon plus one more, add to the lemon zest and then add the minced garlic and oregano and stir. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil and whisk to combine. Add kosher salt and pepper.
- Pour the marinade into the freezer bag with the chicken chunks and let marinade for 30 minutes or up to 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- If using wooden skewers, prepare them by soaking in water for ten minutes. If using metal skewers, no prep is necessary.
- Slice the remaining lemon in thin rounds and then slice the rounds in half. Trim the bottoms of the green onions off and cut into 1-inch lengths.
- Thread one piece of the chicken onto a skewer then two slices of green onion, and then another piece of chicken. Fold a slice of lemon in half and thread next to the chicken, grouping closely on the skewer. Add another piece of chicken, then green onions and repeat the pattern until you’ve reached the end of the skewer, ending with chicken. Discard any of the remaining marinade.
- When ready to grill, prepare the grill by lightly oiling the grate with vegetable oil or cooking spray and preheat to medium-high heat.
- Grill chicken, turning often so each side browns and has light grill marks, until cooked through, about 10-15 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.
Hugs, kisses & yummy dishes… xoxo
[…] Grilled Lemon Chicken Skewers (hugsnkitchen.com) […]