Pico de Gallo & Guacamole
Pico de gallo is a really simple salsa to put together that is packed full of flavor. It’s made up of diced tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime juice salt and pepper. And is also the base for really yummy guacamole!
The pico de gallo will last for a few days, and the flavors get a little better each day so you could definitely make this dish in advance. But I recommend making the guacamole the day you plan on eating it as it turns brown the next day and isn’t quite as appealing.
If you do have to keep your guacamole in the fridge, whether you make it earlier in the day or are saving leftovers, keep the avocado seed inside the guacamole and cover with plastic wrap that is pressed down on top of the guacamole so no extra air gets in. This will help keep it fresh for a little bit longer and slow down the browning process.
Pico de Gallo
- 4 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
- 1 yellow or white onion, diced
- 1 head of cilantro, diced
- juice from 1-2 limes, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the tomatoes, onion and cilantro in a bowl. Add the lime juice.
- Salt and pepper to taste and stir everything together.
- Store covered in the fridge until ready to serve.
- 2 avocados, diced
- pico de gallo, to taste
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- juice from 1 lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, combine the diced avocados, two big scoops of pico de gallo (or more or less to taste) and the diced jalapeño. If you don’t want too much heat, remove the ribs and seeds from the jalapeño before dicing.
- Add the lime juice and then season with salt and pepper.
- Mash everything together with a fork until you’ve reached your desired consistency. (I still like mine to have a few avocado chunks in it.)
- Taste and add more cilantro, pico de gallo, jalapeño or lime juice to taste.
- Serve immediately.
Hugs, kisses & yummy dishes… xoxo
[…] of toppings (sour cream, queso blanco, lettuce, pico de gallo, guacamole, […]
[…] cookout staples: coleslaw, my mom’s rockin’ potato salad, corn & black bean salsa, pico de gallo & guac, watermelon, Cape Cod potato chips, brownies, a passion fruit vodka cocktail, hot dogs and two […]
[…] 3) Guacamole & Pico de Gallo – So delicious and easy to throw together. You could make both of these in advance, but my suggestion would be to prepare the pico de gallo a day in advance, and then before your party mash in some ripe avocados so your guacamole is super fresh. If you do make a day in advance, or even earlier in the morning, keep the avocado pit inside the guacamole – it helps keep it fresh. And make sure that you cover with Saran wrap and press down so that the plastic is directly touching the guacamole. […]
[…] for my hummus recipe to make for a friend’s bridal shower. He made the hummus along with my guacamole and pico de gallo. The hummus was such a huge hit at the party, so I decided it was time to share it with all of […]
[…] (click here for my recipe, or here for Chipotle’s exact […]