Corn & Black Bean Salsa
I don’t know anyone that doesn’t like tortilla chips. Seriously. Do you? And nothing goes better with tortilla chips then a big batch of homemade corn & black bean salsa. Okay, guacamole, too. But today, we’re talking about salsa.
This stuff is awesome. Addicting. A huge crowd pleaser. I have brought this stuff to so many parties I can’t even count, and it’s always gone by the end of the party. One time, we even ran out of chips and people started dunking peanut butter cookies into it. I don’t recommend that, but you get the point. It’s delicious.
It’s also pretty simple to throw together and can be made a little bit in advance. It’s delicious from the get-go, but if you let the salsa sit for a few hours, the flavors get even better.
It’s fabulous with chips, but also goes great on a salad with some grilled chicken or shrimp.
What you’ll need: corn, black beans, red onion, cilantro, a variety of bell peppers, red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, limes, dash of sugar, salt and optionally jalapeños & avocado.
Drain two cans of corn & beans in a strainer, and add them to a big bowl.
Dice a couple of bell peppers into small pieces similar in size to the corn & beans. (Remember, they need to be small enough to scoop up with a chip!) You can pick whatever color of bell peppers you’d like. I suggest red & green to add more color to the salsa. Add those to the bowl, too.
Chop up a big bunch of cilantro and a whole red onion and add to the bowl.
Next comes the spices. Add the chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and sugar to the bowl. Then drizzle the olive oil, juice of two limes and red wine vinegar on top.
Mix everything together!
Add the avocados and jalapeños and mix everything up again. If you’re adding jalapeños you can use fresh or canned. I typically do the sliced, canned version because they’re a less overpowering. In my opinion, you get more of the yummy flavor and heat, but it doesn’t take over the whole dish.
Taste to make sure it’s seasoned properly, and you’re ready to serve! Serve with tortilla chips, or just with a spoon.
Hugs, kisses & yummy dishes… xoxo
Corn & Black Bean Salsa
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Drain the corn and beans, and add to a large bowl.
- Dice the red and green bell peppers and add to the bowl.
- Chop the cilantro into small pieces and add to the bowl.
- Dice the whole red onion and add to the bowl.
- Add the sugar, salt, chili powder, cayenne pepper and cumin to the bowl.
- Add the juice of two limes, red wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil to the bowl
- Mix everything together so the spices and liquids are evenly dispersed.
- Add the diced avocado and sliced jalapeños if you're using them. (I use the jalapeños that come sliced in a jar for this one.) Mix everything together again.
- Taste the salsa and make sure it's seasoned well. Add more salt/sugar/spices to taste.
- Serve with tortilla chips (or just a spoon...) and enjoy!